Fire at Monkey Bean Cafe

DRAMA: Firefighters at the Monkey Bean Cafe last week.
DRAMA: Firefighters at the Monkey Bean Cafe last week.

Oberon Fire Brigade and rural fire brigades attended a fire at the Monkey Bean Cafe last Wednesday afternoon.

The fire started in a brick cavity near the front door of the cafe.

Owner Lachie Gelling said it was a combustion fire that started in litter and leaf in the cavity.

“With the hot and wet weather, the litter just started to smoulder and a customer alerted us to the problem,” he said.

“It goes to show that with temperatures rising and stormy weather, we need everyone to check their gutters and roof to clear it of nests and leaf litter.”

Mr Gelling said firefighters removed a piece of roofing to extinguish the smouldering fire and the Monkey Bean was back in business a couple of hours later.