The sale of a Kite Street home has smashed the previous Orange CBD record for highest seller.
Classified as a five-bedroom mansion, now previous owner Scott Gilbank and Scott Petersen of McGrath Estate Agents were delighted to see the $2.6million purchase go through.
Mr Gilbank said that getting to this point had been "a bit of a journey".
"It's been going on for a couple years now. We took a year off because of COVID then things swung back into action," he said.
"Obviously the home is an iconic historical property that's probably quite a landmark in the CBD of Orange.
"Of course, we've never ever been short of interest in the home, but unfortunately it's also attracted a lot of mindless time wasters. I'm pretty sure the new owners, although I haven't really had discussions about what they're intentions are, they seem very happy with the way the home is."
The home was purchased by a Sydney couple who plan on using the house to live in, rather than rent it out.
Mr Petersen said that an initial offer was put in verbally just prior to Sydney being put in lockdown.
"Then the purchasers wanted to come up and do another walk through and make sure they were happy," he added.
"We've been very strict with Sydney buyers and I'm conscious we have to protect the community and we told them we would no longer market the property and would work with them, but we weren't comfortable with them coming up until Sydney came out of lockdown."
But when the couple realised that the lockdown was set to drag on, they decided to bite the bullet and paid the deposit to secure the sale.
"They're right into heritage which is great because it's gone to the right owners," Mr Petersen said of the purchasers.
"The current vendor is to be commended. He's had the property for 17 years and in that time he's meticulously brought it back. There's been no renovation, just a full restoration."
The 'Mena Mansion' - which was built in 1875 sold on August 4 - also boasts two bathrooms, a private courtyard, comprises more than 2300m2 and is also heritage listed.
"Because it's a heritage listed property a lot of people are very reserved about it," Mr Glibank said.
"They feel it's very restrictive and that you can't do a lot of things but that's not the case. If you really do your homework and ask the questions and see the right people, there are things that you can do if you take the right steps."
The last time the property was sold was back in September of 2003, when it went for $980,000.
The highest price for a CBD property previously was $1.86m for 4 Sale Street, while 100 Franklin Road, just outside the CBD, sold for $2.03m.
ORANGE'S TOP SELLERS
House sales over $1 million in the CBD and city include:
- Mena Mansion, Kite Street, McGrath, $2.6 million
- 100 Franklin Road, Peter Fisher, $2.03 million
- 4 Sale Street, $1.86 million, Fitzgerald
- 39-41 Byng Street, $1.855 million, Benchmark
- 21 Summer Street, $1.6 million, LJ Hooker
- 27 Byng Street, $1.5 million, McCormack Barber
- 91-93 Woodward Street, $1.48 million, McCormack Barber/Fitzgerald
- 78 Byng Street, $1.46 million, McCormack Barber
- 74 Byng Street, $1.459m, McCormack Barber
- 14 Kite Street, $1.45 million, LJ Hooker
- 32 Clinton Street, $1.43 million, Professionals
- 26 Kite Street, $1.4 million, LJ Hooker
- 29 Byng Street $1.4 million, Williams Machin
- 177 Anson Street, $1.39 million, One Agency
- 399 Anson Street, $1.33 million, Our City
- 65 Clinton Street, $1.32 million, Peter Fisher
- 151 Hill Street, $1.3 million, McCormack Barber
- 71 Moulder Street, $1.3 million, Blowes
- 131 March Street, $1.295 million, One Agency
- 15 Sale Street, $1.29 million, Benchmark
- 26 Byng Street, $1.28 million, John Cook
- 72 Byng Street, $1.27 million, McCormack Barber
- 175 Anson Street, $1.25 million, McCormack Barber
- 3 Clinton Street, $1.225 million, LJ Hooker/McCormack Barber
- 40 Clinton Street, $1.2 million, Williams Machin
- 36 Hill Street, $1.1 million, Blowes
- 21 March Street, $1.1 million, Fitzgerald
- 39-41 Byng Street, $1.03 million, McCormack Barber
- 62 Byng Street, $1.02 million, Townsend
- 52 Kite Street, $1 million, LJ Hooker.
- 143 Sale Street, $1 million, Fitzgerald
- 9 Sale Street, N/A, Fitzgerald.
Our journalists work hard to provide local, up-to-date news to the community. This is how you can continue to access our trusted content: