Horse on Duckmaloi Road put Scott Melton in hospital

AFTERMATH: Scott Melton had a lucky escape after colliding with a horse on Duckmaloi Road.
AFTERMATH: Scott Melton had a lucky escape after colliding with a horse on Duckmaloi Road.

JENOLAN Caves tour guide Scott Melton had the fright of his life when he hit a horse that totalled his car on the Duckmaloi Road on Monday night, June 7.

Mr Melton said he was travelling east on the Duckmaloi Road when an oncoming motorist flashed his headlights as he passed.

"I checked that my lights were not on high beam, which they were not," he said.

"As soon as I got past the oncoming vehicle, the horse was right there on the road. There was no way of avoiding it; there was no time to react.

"The oncoming vehicle had been travelling in the same direction as I was and avoided the horses [there were three]. He turned around to warn other drivers of the danger ahead. But it was too late for me.

"I was driving a Hyundai Tucson, which is quite high off the ground. If I had been driving a small sedan, I think the outcome would have been very different."

Mr Melton said the horse had to be put down.

"I don't blame the horse, but I want to put a warning out to stock owners to check that their stock are fully secured," he said.

"If there had been a truck or any other oncoming vehicle on the road, my outcome may have been different.

"I was transferred to Bathurst Base Hospital, where I spent the night, and I'm still having treatment for my knee."

Mr Melton has worked at Jenolan Caves for 28 years and he said the closure of the five mile is not only devastating for tourists, but for staff.

"Access via the Edith and two mile adds an extra couple of hours onto my trip to and from work," he said.

"I cannot believe what the Caves has gone through: fires, floods and COVID and now there is no timeline as to when the five mile will reopen.

"Most of our visitors come from the east, Sydney, and travel via Hampton."

Mr Melton said he wants to thank emergency service personnel, police, local residents and staff at Bathurst Base Hospital.

"All were wonderful and very helpful. I would also like to thank my co-workers and family for their continued support after the accident," he said.

"I hope telling my story will alert stock owners to check their fencing and make sure animals are secured."