Police news | P-plater burnout enthusiast counts the cost

POLICE have taken action against a young local P-plate driver who decided it was a good idea to go out to Sewells Creek Road at the intersection of Mayfield Road and do some burnouts.

The driver told police another male had encouraged him to do the burnouts so he could film him on his phone with the intention of sharing the footage on social media.

The driver was issued with a $696 fine and the loss of three points for his stupidity.


Any other driver who may be contemplating the same actions will be risking immediate confiscation of their vehicle as well as being charged and put before the court.

Anyone found photographing or filming this behaviour can also be charged with the same offence regardless of whether they were in the car or not.

If convicted, a fine of up to $3300 can be imposed by the court as well as disqualification from driving for 12 months.

In the case of a second or subsequent offence, the driver can be fined as well as imprisoned for nine months.

Man located

ON Thursday, November 19, police were called to a rural property on Lowes Mount Road where a 40 year-old-man had left a suicide note in the mailbox.

The man is known to the residents of that property and when police attended, the residents stated that they had not seen the man for almost 12 months and had no idea why he would leave a suicide note with them.

Police made inquiries with family and friends of the man to try to confirm his recent movements or where he may be. A search was conducted by Oberon police and members of the NSW Police Rescue Squad and the NSW Police Dog Squad.

The man was located alive in a state forest. Drug paraphernalia and a large number of used prescription drug packages were located in the vehicle. The man was conveyed to Bathurst hospital for a mental health assessment.

| Lifeline: 13 11 14.

Dog attack

POLICE were called to an address in Balfour Street after two sheep had been attacked by two dogs.

The owner of the sheep and a neighbour saw the dogs attacking the sheep and chased the dogs, which returned to a neighbouring property.

When police attended, two ewes were in an extremely distressed state.

The owner of the dogs was advised that he would be receiving infringements totalling $3690. Police are sick of dealing with these incidents and will show no leniency.

Breach of AVO

POLICE attended a house in Oberon on Thursday, November 19 in response to an 18-year-old man who had breached a condition in a court-issued AVO.

When police attended, the man was seen to be in a very intoxicated state and had been verbally abusing family members and acting in an intimidating manner.

The man was arrested and taken to Bathurst Police Station, where he was charged with the breach of the order and refused bail.