DANCING shoes are shiny, the music is ready and thousands of students across the Central West are going to Bust the Dust this Friday.
Hundreds of schools across Australia are taking part in the national simultaneous dance with the hopes of dancing up a drought-ending storm.
The idea is the brainchild of a class of Year 5/6 students at St John's Parish School in Trangie and it's on at 1pm this Friday, December 13.
READ ALSO: Holden retires the iconic Commodore
Taking part is easy, St John's teacher Emma Wilson said - all you need is a song, any song, some enthusiasm and to register your school.
Of the 600-plus schools already registered, dozens are from across the Central West, they include schools in: Blayney, Cowra, Dubbo, Forbes, Lithgow, Millthorpe, Narromine, Nyngan, Orange, Parkes, Wellington and Young.
Ms Wilson said her students were inspired to create the dance and send the idea national after learning about the drought during poetry class.
VIDEO: Story continues below
From reading My Country by Dorothea Mackellar and Drought by Jackie French, the students then listened to Raindance by Sara Storer.
The song led to the students deciding to create their own rain dance.
READ ALSO: Cherries cheery despite the nasty conditions
"It just shows how 19 kids can make a difference," Ms Wilson said.
"Instead of raising money they wanted to raise spirits."
Join the #BustTheDust rain dance
Schools from across Australia are invited to help #BustTheDust in the rain dance.
- When: Friday, December 13
- Time: 1pm
- Who: Schools, teachers and their families and friends are invited to dance up a drought-ending storm
- Which song: Any song, dance moves or duration that you like
- What next: Upload your video to the Bust The Dust Rain Dance Facebook event page
VIDEO: Need #BustTheDust dance inspiration?
Central West schools who will #bustthedust
- St John's Parish School Trangie
- Blayney High School
- Calare Public School
- Canowindra Public School
- Cathedral Catholic Primary School, Bathurst
- Clergate Public School
- Cooerwull Public School, Lithgow
- Cudal Public School
- Dubbo North Public School
- Dubbo School of Distance Education
- Eugowra Public School
- Forbes North Public School
- Forbes Public School
- Gilgandra Public School
- Grenfell Public School
- Holy Family School, Parkes
- La Salle Academy Lithgow
- Macquarie Turorial Centre, Bathurst
- Millthorpe Public School
- Narromine Pubilc School
- Nyngan High School
- Red Bend Catholic College, Forbes
- St Edward's Primary School Canowindra
- St John's Parish Primary School, Cobar
- St Joseph's Catholic Primary School, Eugowra
- St Joseph's Catholic School, Blayney
- St Joseph's Catholic School, Gilgandra
- St Joseph's Catholic School, Manildra
- St Joseph's Parish School, Condobolin
- St Joseph's Parish School, Nyngan
- St Laurence's Parish Primary School, Forbes
- St Mary's Catholic Primary School, Orange
- St Mary's Parish School Warren
- St Mary's Primary School Young
- St Mary's War Memorial School West Wyalong
- St Patrick's School, Lithgow
- St Philomena's Catholic Primary School Bathurst
- St Raphael's Catholic School Cowra
- Trangie Central School
- Wellington Christian School
- Wellington Public School
- Young North Public School
Non-schools that will #bustthedust
- Catholic Education Office Wilcannia Forbes
- Elizabeth Chifley Preschool, Bathurst
- Peak Hill Post Office
- Trangie Pony Club
Love local news?
Why not subscribe, the first 30 days of full website access is free.