Letter | A great gathering for district museum's reopening

HISTORY: One of the outside exhibits at the museum – the Fordson tractor believed to be the first wheeled tractor in the Oberon district.
HISTORY: One of the outside exhibits at the museum – the Fordson tractor believed to be the first wheeled tractor in the Oberon district.

THE Oberon and District Museum's new management committee was very pleased with the turnout of visitors for its reopening on March 2 and the offers of help it received from members of the community.

On March 19, 1932, the Sydney Harbour Bridge was opened.

On this special occasion, Deborah Hoolihan's great aunt, Christina Stapleton, embroidered a white apron with a depiction of the harbour bridge with cars, trucks and a train coming off it, and maps of England and Australia. At the top is a banner with the embroidered words "Sydney 19.3.1932" with three daisies underneath.

Years later, Deborah donated the apron to the Oberon District Museum, and she was delighted to see it again when she visited recently.

READ ALSO:

Museum membership application forms are available from the library, St Vincent de Paul or committee members.

Opening hours are noon to 4pm on the first Saturday of each month, and every Sunday from 10.30am till 4pm.

Inquiries can be directed to oberonmuseum@gmail.com or phone 0418 671 754.

Maree Arrow, ODM committee member