Oberon Museum | Small cottage still makes a big impact

HISTORY: The old weatherboard cottage, built around 1887, and transported to the Oberon District Museum in 1994, is still a drawcard at the facility.
HISTORY: The old weatherboard cottage, built around 1887, and transported to the Oberon District Museum in 1994, is still a drawcard at the facility.

ONE of the star attractions at the Oberon District Museum is the old weatherboard cottage, built around 1887, and transported to the museum in 1994.

The cottage, which used to be situated along the present Albion Street bypass, was built by Syd Babcock for his mother.

It was never connected to power or water and is so small it would probably fit into the lounge area of some modern homes!

There are many items of interest in this cottage but one is the hospital bed used by the midwife, Nurse Fox, to deliver babies.

Museum committee member Warren Rawson says he was delivered on this bed, as were many other Oberon identities during the time Nurse Fox ran her maternity hospital, in North Street near the current fire station, up to her retirement in 1948.

The Oberon District Museum will reopen its doors on the first weekend in March, Saturday, March 2 and Sunday, March 3, from 10.30am to 4pm on both days.

Thereafter it will open on the first Saturday of each month from noon to 4pm, and every Sunday from 10.30am to 4pm. It will also open by appointment. Admission will be $5 per person, or $12 for a family.