Council urges extra care when removing asbestos

OBERON Council are urging local home renovators to be aware of the dangers of asbestos related diseases caused by inhaling asbestos fibres while renovating or carrying out home repairs.

This week is Asbestos Awareness Week, a national campaign created to raise the awareness of the toxicity of the product amongst home owners and maintainers.

The message from the Asbestos Diseases Research Institute and the Asbestos Education Committee is “don’t play renovation rouloutte.”

Australia has one of the highest rates of asbestos related diseases in the worlds most likely because Australia has also been ranked among the top consumers of asbestos cement products per capita.

Almost every home built or renovated before the mid 1980s is likely to contain asbestos in one form or another.

The third wave of people affected by mesothelioma, an incurable asbestos-related cancer, has recently become evident and will continue to rise in this country unless Australians start taking seriously the dangers of asbestos when it is disturbed.

It is difficult to tell whether building materials contain asbestos just by looking at them. Asbestos can be under floor coverings such as carpets, linoleum and vinyl tiles, behind wall and floor tiles, in cement floors, internal and external walls, ceilings, eaves, garages,

around hot water pipes, fences, extensions to homes, outdoor toilets, dog kennels and backyard sheds - it can be anywhere really.

During Asbestos Awareness Week, Australians are invited to donate money to support the Asbestos Diseases Research Foundation and the Asbestos Diseases Foundation of Australia. Donations of $2 or more will be gratefully received and are fully tax deductible.

For more information visit asbestosawareness.com.au or call 02 9767 9800 during business hours.

Smartphone
Tablet - Narrow
Tablet - Wide
Desktop